Monday, February 16, 2009

what time is it in ethiopian time?

2b) If you are from another cultural background than most of the students around you, briefly describe any differences or similarities you notice between your own notion and approach to time and those that are dominant here.

My father was born in Ethiopia and also lived in Greece for a while. Whenever we get together with the Ethiopian side of the family we never meet up at a definite time. They may say they are coming over at 1pm and they might not arrive until 5 or 6pm. My mom has taught my father to be on time more often. In the United States, if you say something starts at a certain time, or you are going to be somewhere at this hour, it is expected. Their perception of time is much different than what is 'acceptable' here. I have no problem with it, but it bothers my mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment