Monday, March 9, 2009

Blah.blah.BLAH Kids???

Its funny, as I was reading this blog it sparked a conversation with my group of friends that kind of took this blog off topic, but could still work. After we had all established the fact we are broke, I through out the idea of selling sperm and eggs for cash. Then everyone jumped on their laptops to check out the going rate. What we found according to the .midwestspermbank.com and conceiveabilities.com the going rate of sperm can rang from $30-$100 a pop after about 6 weeks of tests, screenings and while you know... While the average cost of an egg is about $7,000 after a one month cycle of getting hormones pumped into you. 
In the end, no one decided giving up over on month of their life would be worth the money. One of my friends also brought up a good ethical dilemma saying the females don't always make eggs, what's to say the one you sell would be the only one you could ever have? That kind of freaked me out, being someone who same day wants to have kids and some kind of family, what if the one egg I should sell is my only chance? Crazy to come to that conclusion, knowing in the end I wasn't about to spend a month going through the process anyway so I dropped my fear. 
So what does go through the head of someone wanting to donate their eggs, besides the idea of quick cash? Do they see it as some kind of civic duty or their way of giving back to their community? I'd really like to know what people are thinking right before they take the plunge. Maybe its woman who have already had the amount of children they wanted and wants to give other the experience of having children.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment